Winchester is located toward the western end of the South Downs National Park and is home to Winchester Cathedral. The closest city, Southampton, is just 13.6 miles away and offers ample access to the coast. Although Southampton is near by, there is plenty to see and do in Winchester itself. Here are our top 10 things to see in Winchester:
2. Winchester Cathedral – one of the largest cathedrals in Europe and founded in 642, the beautiful architecture of this landmark means is not one to be missed!
3. Hampshire Wine School – If you fancy learning all about, and more importantly sampling, fine wine, be sure to pay a visit to wine school.
4. Wolvesey Castle – created by Henry of Blois in 1141 Wolvesey Castle is another site worth having a peek at if you are a fan of history and stepping back in time.
5. Marwell Zoo – with amazing reviews online and home to the cutest animals, it is one not to be missed when you’re in this neck of the woods.
6. Itchen Walk – a picturesque walk along the river. When the sun is shining the water is clear enough to see trout!
7. Theatre Royal Winchester – why not grab a show when you’re down? This stunning theatre was built in 1850 but it is most certainly not stuck in the past.
8. Winchester Science Centre – with over 100 activities to keep you occupied it would be impossible to be bored here. For £10 a head it is an absolute bargain for the whole family to enjoy!
9. Westgate Museum – why not have some free fun and stroll around the museum for the afternoon?
10. Old Winchester Hill – home to a hill fort dating back some 3,800 years, spend a relaxed afternoon here.
Winchester is a city which is packed with things to do, the above being a few cherry picked favourites. Come and experience it for yourself whether you are coming for the nightlife, the history, the culture or just to relax and have a few days going on some beautiful walks. Winchester is waiting for you.